Senate passes four bills amidst low attendance

ISLAMABAD: The Upper House of the Parliament passed four bills to regulate the national economy, as it continued to face low attendance during the second sitting on Tuesday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its daily factsheet.

The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1500 hours and lasted four hours and 20 minutes. Nineteen (18%) senators were present at the start and 28 (27%) at the time of adjournment. A maximum of 38 (37%) members were present at one point of the sitting. Chairman Senate presided 70% of the sitting’s time while the remaining time was presided by the Deputy Chairman.

Minister for Commerce, Khurram Dastgir, moved for the passage of four bills – the Safeguard Measures (Amendment) Bill 2015, the Countervailing Duties Bill 2015, the Anti-Dumping Duties Bill 2015 and the National Tariff Commission Bill 2015 – all of which seek to regulate the national economy.

The House admitted an adjournment motion pertaining to recurrent electricity breakdown in Karachi which, was moved by Senators Saeed Ghani, Saleem Mandviwala, Taj Haider and Sassi Palejo while the remaining four adjournment motions appearing on the Orders of the Day were deferred.

A Calling Attention Notice (CAN) moved by Senator Sahar Kamran regarding government’s failure to highlight the issue of Kashmir in the joint statement after the meeting of Pakistani and Indian Premiers in Ufa, Russia was taken up and responded by the Minister for Commerce, Khurram Dastgir. Another CAN regarding the collection of TV fee through electricity bills was deferred.

The sitting started at 1500 hours and adjourned at 1922 hours. Chairman presided over 70% of the sitting’s time. Deputy Chairman presided the remaining 30% of the sitting’s time. Leader of the House attended the sitting for four hours while the Opposition Leader was not seen to be present during the entire sitting.

Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.

Nineteen (18%) senators were present at the start and 28 (27%) at the time of adjournment.

A maximum of 48 senators (37%) were present at one point of the sitting.

Parliamentary leaders of PPPP, BNP-M, MQM, JI and PML were present.

Three minority members were present.

Six members applied for leave.

Minister for Commerce, Khurram Dastgir, moved for the passage of four bills – the Safeguard Measures (Amendment) Bill 2015, the Countervailing Duties Bill 2015, the Anti-Dumping Duties Bill 2015 and the National Tariff Commission Bill 2015 – all of which seek to regulate the national economy.

A total of 15 lawmakers debated an Adjournment Motion regarding proposed conversion of 1,400 acres land of National Agricultural Research Center by CDA into residential/commercial plots.

A Calling Attention Notice (CAN) moved by Senator Sahar Kamran was taken up by the House regarding government’s failure to highlight the issue of Kashmir in the joint statement after the meeting of Pakistani and Indian Premiers in Ufa, Russia and was responded by the Minister for Commerce, Khurram Dastgir. Another CAN regarding the collection of TV fee through electricity bills was deferred.

The House admitted an adjournment motion pertaining to recurrent electricity breakdown in Karachi, which was moved by Senators Saeed Ghani, Saleem Mandviwala, Taj Haider and Sassi Palejo while the remaining four adjournment motions appearing on the Orders of the Day were deferred.