KARACHI: Shaheed Benazir Bhutto Accident, Emergency and Trauma Centre at Civil Hospital Karachi (CHK) is expected to be made operational on 27th December 2015, it is learned on Tuesday.
An official at CHK told PPI that construction work of Shaheed Benazir Bhutto Accident Emergency and Trauma Center had been completed and the center is expected to start functioning from 27th December 2015. He informed that trauma center comprises 15 storeys and initially, seven-storey building will be made operational by the end of this month, while reset of building will be made functional next year.
He said the project was approved by Executive Committee of National Economic Council (ECNEC) in 2008 and construction work on it had started on it in 2009. He said Ex-Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani had laid the foundation stone of project on 10th January 2009 with objective to deal efficiently with the increasing number emergency cases and it was supposed to be completed in 2012. But the trauma center will now be made operational after three year delay, he said.
He said the project had been completed with an estimated cost of over Rs 4 billion. He said Benazir Bhutto Trauma Centre project was delayed three years due to late release of funds. This project will provide state-of-the-art emergency trauma care facilities to people and thousands of patients would avail the best healthcare facilities under one roof with the completion of this project in near future. The official informed that the Center can house up to 500 patients once it will made fully operational.
He said trauma center would offer facilities and services in Surgery, Burns, Eye, Neurosurgery, Heart, Operation Theaters, Mortuary, Parking Medical Stores, Cafeteria, Mosque and others under one roof.
He said the Chief Minister Sindh is expected to visit the Centre on 12 December for final review of the building. He said the Centre is expected to start functioning on the eve of the 8th death anniversary of former Prime Minister Shaheed Benazir Bhutto to be observed on Dec 27.
Secretary Health Dr Saeed Ahmed Mangnejo, when contacted, said final preparations were underway to open the Centre for public by the end of December 2015.