SHC asks Sindh govt to compensate victim families

KARACHI: The Sindh High Court on Thursday directed Sindh government to compensate the families of three activists of the Muttahida Qaumi Movement, who were allegedly killed extra-judicially.

A division bench, headed by Justice Naimatullah Phulpoto, gave this direction while hearing separate petitions seeking inquiry into the alleged extra-judicial killing of the MQM’s activists and payment of compensation to the bereaved families.

Advocate Hasnan Shah Bukhari, who represented the petitioners, submitted that the personnel of law enforcement agencies had picked up three political workers, including Kashif Qayyum, Shahikh Arifullah and Mohammad Asif Shamil, from different areas of the city and did not disclose details about their location. He said the petitioners later learnt through the media that bodies of their relatives were found.

The counsel told the judges that the court at the last hearing had directed the government to compensate the victims’ families, but no step was taken so far. Hence, he requested the court to issue directives to the authorities to implement the court order.

The judges expressed their displeasure over the failure of officials concerned and gave them three weeks to implement the court’s order in letter and spirit. The court summoned a compliance report by the next date of hearing.

The post SHC asks Sindh govt to compensate victim families appeared first on Pakistan Press International.