Karachi, January 10, 2013 (PPI): Sindh Governor Dr Ishratul Ibad Khan expressing concern over measles outbreaks in various districts of Sindh province, has emphasized on immediate effective steps to contain the disease.
Presiding over a high level meeting at Governor House review the steps of controlling measles, he expressed dissatisfaction on the performance of EPI about routine vaccination. He asked for district wise sampling all over the provinces to found the actual causes of the disease. He said this disease may cause T.B and other diseases. He said joint efforts are needed to remove its causes including acute malnutrition in children of rural areas in Sindh.
Sindh Health Minister Dr Sagheer Ahmed informed about the steps being taken by his department to contain measles.
The meeting was informed that last year different districts of the province reported cases of measles; however, the diseases increased in the month of December mainly in Ghotki, Sukkur, Khairpur, Shikarpur, Jacobabad, Kashmore, Larkana, and Kambar-Shahdadkot districts.
In the year 2012, measles coverage rate was 81 percent. Measles causes deaths due to secondary infections of pneumonia and diarrhoea. According to WHO in the year 2012, 7274 measles cases were reported which resulted in 1212. In the month of December 2012, as many as 1879 cases and 93 deaths were reported. However, Sindh health department reported that in December 2012, 2125 cases of measles were reported in Sindh causing 100 deaths.
To control the disease, a crash program has already been starting in sensitive areas in which measles vaccine is being given to children up to 10 years of age. Next vaccine will be given in February 2012. As many as 2329812 children were vaccine up to January 7, 2012.