183 suspects being interrogated in connection with Kirani road incident: SC told

ISLAMABAD: Capital City Police Officer CCPO Quetta Mir Zubair on Thursday told the Supreme Court that 183 suspects were being interrogated in connection with the Kirani road incident.

He admitted the police failure, which lead to Quetta carnages, however assured the court that perpetrators of these brutal incidents will be nabbed and brought to book.

He stated this while appearing on notice before a three-member bench comprising Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, Justice Khilji Arif Hussain and Justice Sh. Azmat Saeed, which was hearing a suo moto case pertaining to unabated killings of the Shia Hazara community in Quetta.

During the hearing the chief justice observed that prevention of such incidents was necessary as elections were ahead. He said police often receive alerts about the dangers and in response it takes necessary measures, however it did not receive any intelligence information about the Kinrani road incident.

To a court query, the court was informed that FC Commandant could not turn up due to his engagements in operational activities. The chief justice inquired that why tankers were not checked despite existence of Frontier Corps FC check post at the way.

He said modern instruments were available, which could easily detect the explosive, adding that how a huge cache of explosives loaded in a tanker went unchecked, when a brutal incident in the area had already been occurred over a month ago.

The CCPO then stated that although police had been committing negligence in past, however it would not repeat it in future and bring the perpetrators to the book. He said targeted operation was being conducted by police.

Attorney General Irfan Qadir submitted the reply of Prime Minister Secretariat and President Hose over the matter. The court accepted the request for keeping the replies of President and the Prime Minister as secret.

The FC and Interior Ministry also submitted their reports over the incident. The court directed the Home Secretary to submit his reply in light of the ISI and IB’s reports over the incident. The court also directed the FC Commandant to submit his report with his signatures. The court asked the Home Secretary and CCPO to submit their written replies through the attorney general.

At the start of hearing, Nasir Ali Shah, a Pakistan People’s Party PPP MNA from Balochistan, told the court that some 1,500 people had been killed from 2002 todate, however challan of not a single accused had been submitted before any court.

He also stated that Interior Minister Rehman Malik had stated in a press statement that he knew very well that Lashkare Jhangvi and Taliban wanted to delay the upcoming general elections. The court then said if Rehman Malik knew he should exchange his information with the law enforcing agencies. Later, the court adjourned further hearing till February 26.

ISLAMABAD: The Supreme Court disposed of 363 cases, against institution of 290 new cases during
ISLAMABAD: Hearing a case pertaining to implementation of its apex court orders in the fake
ISLAMABAD: A three-member Supreme Court bench on Thursday issued contempt of court notices to former