Age assessment of Jatoi: ATC issues show cause notice to police surgeon, Services Hospital MS

Karachi: The Anti-Terrorism Court ATC on Wednesday expressing displeasure over police surgeon for preparing the report of the assessment of Shahrukh Jatoi’s age, prime suspect in Shahzeb Khan murder case issued him show cause notice. A show cause notice was also issued to medical superintendent of Services Hospital for not constituting a medical board for same purpose.

Shahrukh Jatoi, along with Siraj Talpur, Sajjad Talpur, and their cook Ghulam Murtaza Lashari, was accused for murdering 20yearsold Shahzeb Khan in his car over a minor dispute near Mubarak Masjid in Phase of the Defence Housing Authority in the early hours of December 25.

The ATC on January 26 sent Shahrukh Jatoi to juvenile prison and other coaccused to Central Prison Karachi on judicial custody and directed police to produce them on January 30.

All the accused were produced by police before ATCIII, Judge, Ghulam Mustafa Memon, amid tight security on Wednesday. The court observed that medical superintendent of Services Hospital was directed by the court to constitute medical board to conduct a test for determination of actual age of Shahrukh and produce such report before court on January 23 without fail.

The court in its order said that on said order Dr Jalil Qadir, police surgeon issued age certificate of above named accused on basis of report of professor of radiology of Civil Hospital Karachi. It said that neither that medical superintendent of Services Hospital constituted any board nor submitted any report which is act of negligence and gross violation on his part.

The court directed him to appear before court and explain why action should not be taken against him for disobeying the court’s orders

The court also directed him to constitute a medical board to determine actual age of Shahrukh and submit report in this regard before February 11.

The court said, neither police surgeon was directed to constitute board nor submit report but preparing the report of the assessment of accused age, he has gone above his power. The court directed him to appear before court and explain in what capacity he issued age determination certificate as same should have been issued by the medical board.

The court had earlier directed the investigation officer to submit charge sheet against the accused till January 30. He told the court that two other accused, namely Salman Jatoi and Asif Lond are still on run; therefore he filed an application for seeking 10 more days to submit the charge sheet.

The court granted him 10 days and directed him to submit charge sheet without fail.

Meanwhile, talking to media outside the court, DSP Orangzeb, father of deceased Shahzeb, said he will appeal court that a new medical board be constituted to ascertain the age of Jatoi. He said that he has been extremely pressured for reconciliation; however he was optimistic for justice.