KARACHI: The modalities to rehabilitate and modernize the Sukkur Barrage, increasing its capacity to pass 1.5 million cusecs and reopening its ten gets were discussed in a high level meeting presided over by Chief Minister Sindh Syed Qaim Ali Shah at CM House on Thursday.
Secretary to Irrigation Department Babar Hussain Effendi, Chief Engineer Sukkur Barrage, Ahmed Junaid Memon, consultant engaged in the task attended the meeting and briefed the Chief Minister Sindh about the progress of the assignment till date.
Addressing the meeting the Chief Minister Sindh said that Sukkur Barrage was considered as the life line of the people of Sindh and more than 70% people’s economy were dependent on that barrage. He said that we were experiencing heavy rains and flood since last 3 to 4 years. He said that the volume of those floods had been remained more than the capacity of Sukkur Barrage i.e. 0.9 m cusecs to pass.
Thus had posed serious threat to its structure and imperative to enhance capacity to pass 1.5 m cusec water safely and even to ensure proper supply of the water to the off taking cannels. He said that since its barrage had been constructed by the British Govt during its rule in 1932, because of having expertise in the subject we considered to apply such expertise to rehabilitate the Barrage to save the economy of the province.
The Secretary to irrigation Department, Babar Hussain Effendi, while briefing the Chief Minister Sindh said that hydraulic study of the project had been completed. He said that instead of computer model, a Physical model of Sukkur Barrage had been prepared and same was being tested in hydraulic lab in Hyderabad.
He said that the physical model feasibility report could be finalized by December this year. He said after the successful model testing, Sindh govt would approach World Bank for the funding of the project. He said that after availability of the funds construction work of this project could be completed about 30 months.