53 percent of Singapore companies reported increased profits after implementing flexible working
SINGAPORE, June 1, 2016 /PRNewswire/ — Today, Vodafone revealed results of its Flexible: friend or foe? study which found 75 percent of companies worldwide have introduced flexible working policies to enable employees to vary their hours and use the latest technologies to work remotely. The survey of 8,000 business professionals across three continents also revealed that 53 percent of companies in Singapore who have introduced flexible working have seen increased profits since its implementation.
The Flexible: friend or foe? study drew on responses from small and medium-sized businesses, public sector organizations and multinational corporations (MNCs) in 10 countries. Respondents stated — to a striking extent — that they believed performance had been enhanced as a result of flexible working:
- 61 percent of respondents globally said their company’s profits increased;
- 83 percent reported an improvement in productivity; and
- 58 percent believed that flexible working policies had a positive impact on their organization’s reputation.
The rapid adoption of high-speed mobile data services, fixed-line broadband and cloud services is playing an integral role in this workplace revolution: 61 percent of respondents now use their home broadband service to access work applications and 24 percent use a mobile data connection via their smartphone, tablet or laptop with broadband dongle.
More than three-quarters of Singapore companies offer flexible working, though barriers still exist
76 percent of responding organizations in Singapore stated they have implemented flexible working policies, on par with the global average of 75 percent. Benefits realized include:
- 53 percent of Singapore companies saw increased profits after implementing flexible working.
- 77 percent of Singapore companies who have implemented flexible working have seen an increase in employee productivity.
- Teamwork has improved in 54 percent of Singapore organizations utilizing flexible working.
- 54 percent of Singapore workers leverage flexible working to improve work/life balance.
- Staff morale has increased in 75 percent of these organizations.
Vodafone’s survey also explored why 20 percent of respondents globally said their organization had not yet implemented a flexible working policy. Specifically in Singapore:
- 27 percent of Singapore companies who have not implemented flexible working have not done so due to fears that employee teamwork will decline.
- 57 percent of Singapore employees feel they do not have a usable flexible policy in place at their job.
- 38 percent of Singapore employees do not currently use enterprise social networking — a tool that would play a major role in flexible working.
Vodafone Global Enterprise Asia Pacific President Ben Elms said: “Vodafone’s research reveals a profound and rapid shift in the modern workplace. Singapore employers are telling us that flexible working boosts profits while their employees tell us they’re more productive. Central to all of this are the new technologies that are reshaping every sector, from high-speed mobile data networks and fixed-line broadband to the latest collaborative cloud services. We truly are in an era when work is what you do, not where you go.”
Notes to editors
The Flexible: friend or foe? survey was conducted by Morar (formerly Redshift Research) on behalf of Vodafone between September and October 2015. The countries/regions surveyed were Germany, Hong Kong, India, Italy, Netherlands, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, the UK and the USA. A total of 8,000 employers and employees were interviewed online across 10 countries/regions.
Download our flexible working guide at www.vodafone.com/WorkFlexi
About Vodafone Group
Vodafone is one of the world’s largest telecommunications companies and provides a range of services including voice, messaging, data and fixed communications. Vodafone has mobile operations in 26 countries, partners with mobile networks in 57 more, and fixed broadband operations in 17 markets. As of 31 December 2015, Vodafone had 461 million mobile customers and 13 million fixed broadband customers. For more information, please visit: www.vodafone.com.
For further information
Text100 Singapore for Vodafone
+65 6603 9000